The tank size, fittings and accessories shall be as shown on the drawings. The fiberglass tank shall be provided by Tanksystems.Com of Houston –
The tank shall be tested and installed according to the Installation Manual and Operating Guidelines for Single-Wall and Double-Wall Fiberglass Underground Storage Tanks in effect at time of installation.
Part I: General
1.01 Quality Assurance
- Acceptable Manufacturer: Tanksystems.com
- Governing Standards, as applicable:
- Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Standard for Safety 1316, File MH 9061 for storage of flammable liquids. A UL label shall be attached to each tank.
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standards:
NFPA 30: Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code
NFPA 30A: Automotive and Marine Service Station Code
NFPA 31: Installation of Oil-Burning Equipment.
- City of New York Department of Buildings M.E.A., Division #161-89-M.
- Los Angeles Fire Department.
Part II: Products
2.01 Double-Wall Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic (FRP) Underground Storage Tanks
- Loading Conditions – Tank shall meet the following design criteria:
- Internal Load – Tank certified to pass a maximum 5-psig air-pressure test with 5:1 safety factor. Contractor shall individually test tanks for leakage prior to installation.
- Vacuum Test – To verify structural integrity, every standard 10′-diameter tank and smaller shall be vacuum tested by the manufacturer at the factory to 11.5″ of mercury.
- Surface Loads – Tank shall withstand surface H-20 axle loads when properly installed according to manufacturer’s current Installation Manual and Operating Guidelines.
- External Hydrostatic Pressure – Tank shall be capable of being buried in ground with 7′ of overburden over the top of the tank, the hole fully flooded and a safety factor of 5:1 against general buckling.
- Tank shall support accessory equipment – such as heating coils, drop tubes, submersible pumps and ladders –when installed according to tank manufacturer’s current Installation Manual and Operating Guidelines.
- Product Storage
- Tank shall be capable of storing petroleum products with specific gravity up to 1.1.
- Tank shall be vented to atmospheric pressure.
- Tank shall be capable of storing products identified in the manufacturer’s current standard limited warranty.
- Tank shall be manufactured with 100% resin and glass-fiber reinforcement. No sand fillers.
- Tank Dimensions (Refer to Xerxes literature on gallonage.)
- Tank shall have nominal capacity of _____ gallons.
- Tank shall have nominal outside diameter of _____ feet.
- Interstitial Space
- Tank shall have a space between the primary and secondary walls to allow for the free flow and containment of leaked product from the primary tank. The space also allows the insertion of a monitoring device through a monitoring fitting.
- Optional Anchor Straps
- Straps shall be FRP anchor straps as supplied by tank manufacturer.
- Number and location of straps shall be specified in current literature by tank manufacturer.
- All manways shall be flanged and 22″ I.D., complete with UL-listed gaskets, bolts and covers. (30″ and 36″ I.D. manways are also available on certain larger tanks.)
- Location is shown on tank drawings.
- Optional manway extensions shall be FRP and 24″ long.
- Optional Fill Tubes
- Fill tubes shall be FRP, 4″-diameter, with a 6″ x 4″ double-tapped reducer bushing, and include a 6″ NPT fitting. Tubes shall terminate a minimum of 4″ from the bottom of tank (a minimum of 6″ for a 12′-diameter tank).
- Gauge Plates
- Gauge plates shall be installed under each service fitting and manway opening.
- Optional Heating Coils
- Optional heating coils shall be installed in a separate 22″ manway and shall be as supplied by tank manufacturer.
- Optional Ladders
- Ladders shall be the standard ladder as supplied by tank manufacturer (aluminum, carbon steel or fiberglass).
- NPT Threaded Fittings
- All standard threaded fittings shall be half-couplings and shall be 4″- or 6″- diameter. Reducers are to be used for smaller sizes where shown and provided by contractor.
- Strength – NPT fittings shall withstand a minimum of 150 foot-pounds of torque and 1,000 foot-pounds of bending, both with a 2:1 safety factor.
- Monitor Fittings
- Each monitor fitting shall consist of a 4″ NPT fitting on the tank. Tanks with a hydrostatic monitoring system do not have a monitor fitting.
Part III: Testing and Installation
- Tank shall be tested according to the Xerxes Installation Manual and Operating Guidelines for Single-Wall and Double-Wall Fiberglass Underground Storage Tanks in effect at time of installation.
- Tank shall be installed according to the Xerxes Installation Manual and Operating Guidelines for Single-Wall and Double-Wall Fiberglass Underground Storage Tanks in effect at time of installation.
- Contractor shall be trained by the tank manufacturer, the state or other approved agency.
Part IV: Warranty
- Warranty shall be manufacturer’s limited warranty for double-wall underground petroleum tanks in effect at time of purchase.